Friday, July 8, 2011

Just drive

Do you ever have those days? If you are a mom you know what I mean. The days when your kids just won't leave each other or you alone.  The days when you feel like one more thing will send you over the edge. The days when nothing seems to be going right. Today has been one of "those days." Here are two truths about me: I am a mom, and I am selfish. These two things have a hard time coexisting. Obviously, selfishness is not something I am proud of, but let's just be honest. Sometimes I don't have the patience or discipline to put my selfishness away. I just want to relax or have some quiet.

This morning I was trying to get ready so I could get going on what needed doing, and the boys were trying very hard to prevent any progress. I was getting upset, and it was time to make a choice. I could keep battling the boys to accomplish my goal, but this would likely lead to a mommy or child meltdown, or I could put off my goal, for a while, and just drive. Just driving is sometimes what I need when I am having one of "those days." I am not talking about running errands that require you to get the kids out of the car. I am talking about strapping the kids in their carseats, on opposite sides of the car, and just driving! Doing this can give me the break I need. I can have some time to think. Time to relax. Sure, I still talk to the kids about this tractor, that traffic light, etc, but the environment is controlled. They can't start fighting over a toy, hitting each other, or grab onto my legs in a desperate attempt to be picked up.

Today I swung by a friends house to grab something waiting on the porch. I then drove around town a bit to just let some time pass, and I ended up at a fast food place where I sat in the parking lot and filled my body with junk before driving home to make my boys a healthy organic lunch.  When I got home I felt more at ease. I was able to put the selfish side away and be a good mom. I still hadn't done what needed doing, but I felt much better.

Mom's we can't be perfect! In this age of scrapbooking, organic cooking, playdate hosting supermoms, it is easy to feel inadequate or the need to compete. But, if you want my advice (not that my three years of parenting experience makes me an expert) to be a good and loving mom to your kids, you have to remember to take care of yourself. You can't continue to sacrifice and sacrifice for your children without taking time to meet your own needs. If you try you will leave yourself empty. You won't be able to give anymore. You don't want to end up yelling, crying, or whatever your version of mommy melt down looks like so take action before that can happen. Get a sitter, go on a date, have a glass of wine, or if time won't allow for these things just drive.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I totally do this. Only I go a step further and feed my kids the awful 35 ingredient chicken nuggets....while they're still in their carseats....then I turn on a movie in the van so I can breathe for a moment. Sometimes it's just one of those days. :)

    ReplyDelete